[Making Of] No Face

10596801895_4152d775a1_b

Happy New Year guys!
I haven’t updated since last year November. Wow.
It’s not that I’ve forgotten, I’ve been too busy last December. ๐Ÿ™
Since I promised that I’ll be posting how I made my last shoot (No Face), here it is!
DSC_2397

I first made the diorama itself starting with the ground.
DSC_2397
It’s just an illustration board, then I paper mache’d it to add texture!
Next is the gravestones, they’re just made of styrofoams and then paper mache’d.
DSC_2397
DSC_2350
There are 27 of them in total, I think I made too much. D:
Once they’re dry, I just painted them with gray poster color.
DSC_2353
DSC_2352

I don’t have a photo of the setup for the first day so I’ll just describe it. I tried to make it look like a graveyard by placing the gravestones randomly then used warm white LED christmas lights as a light source. Sometimes I would use a white lamp but it didn’t work with the xmas lights so I opted for just the xmas lights as a light source.

I placed ice miku as the test figure first. Also, I make a lot of test shots. I tend to shoot the same pose at different angles then choose what I like most at the post-processing stage.
first test shots
I then tried a different white balance, opting for a “cool” tone. Changing the white balance of a shot can greatly affect the final JPEG image. I’m a RAW + JPEG shooter so it doesn’t matter much to me but I still like to see what White balance is better.
change WB
The cooler white balance wasn’t good though so I returned to using a warm white balance.
second test shots

Here are the shots for Day 1.
first batch
Click the image for the flickr HQ resolution. I wasn’t satisfied with how the photos turned out. I didn’t like the light given by the Christmas lights themselves, so I did a re-shoot the next day.

This time, I used a combination of candles and Christmas lights as light source. Here are the first few test shots. Click the image for the flickr HQ resolution.

Along the way I would change the placement of the Christmas lights, either making them further away or nearer or making them clump together or spread.
2nd day
The last few shots shows the result when I opened the lights on my room. It overpowers the Christmas lights and candles so I opted for the later. You’ll see that along the way I also changed the white balance to a warmer tone; which, in my opinion, greatly enhanced the test shots. It shows the importance of good white balance!

Here are the final shots! The first few are just test shots. When I was happy with everything, I just took some more photos.
2nd day final shots
Click for the flickr HQ resolution.

Here’s the final setup.
DSC_2535

After that I loaded most shots to my computer, chose the ones I liked, and post-processed them.

If you have some more questions, don’t hesitate to comment below. ๐Ÿ˜€

4 Comment

  1. Nice great stuff! Thanks for posting this! Gives me some ideas.. ๐Ÿ˜€

    1. ahnpan says: Reply

      You’re welcome! It was a pretty straightforward shoot with no fancy lighting so I couldn’t share much but I’m glad that it gave you some ideas! ๐Ÿ˜€

  2. Beautiful! I really love seeing your progress *_*
    And might I say that the cooler toned photos are wonderful as well, you might have fun going back and doing some type of ice palace or forest shoot with that set up!

    1. ahnpan says: Reply

      Yup! The cooler tones was good too but I suppose I wasn’t aiming for that kind of output then. It’d be best for Ice themed photos! XD

Leave a Reply